print this page   advanced search
header right
top of navigation
navigation footer image

generic picture illustrating page content
main image shadow
page header image of woodinville for use when printing

dotted line Annual Docket Process Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions About Changes to the Comprehensive Plan, Development Requirements, and Land Use Regulations.

Can I apply for a change to the City's Comprehensive Plan or development regulations?

Yes. Anyone can submit an application for a change to the current development or land use policies and regulations through the City's docket process. Every year new requests are accepted for changes to the Comprehensive Plan and Development Regulations, including:

•  Long range growth policies

•  Future Land Use Map

•  Environmental regulations

•  Development regulations

•  Zoning Map

•  Zoning Code

•  Sign regulations

What is the docket process?

The docket process is a formal process to allow the City and community to systematically propose, consider, and evaluate amendments to local land use and development policies and regulations. All applications for amendments, as well as those proposed by staff and the City's Commissions and Council, are gathered and complied to make the Docket List. The City Council reviews the Docket List, usually in January, and approves the proposed amendments on the Docket List for further review. Council can add, delete or modify any proposed amendment when they approve the Docket List.

After the Council approves the Docket List, all the amendments are reviewed by staff, the Planning Commission, and state agencies. The Planning Commission will hold study sessions and open houses on all amendments. For larger, more complex issues, additional public meetings may be held for that specific amendment.

When the amendments are ready for formal, “on-the-record” public testimony, the Planning Commission will hold a public hearing. The Planning Commission will hear the staff report and staff recommendation and hears public testimony. The Planning Commission then makes a recommendation to the City Council on each proposed change.

The City Council receives the recommendations from the Planning Commission and makes the final decision on whether or not an amendment is approved. The Council may hold their own public hearing, or act on the amendment without further public testimony.

If my application is on the Docket List, will the proposed change be enacted?

If your request is placed on the Docket List, there are no guarantees or requirements that it will be accepted or enacted. Through the public input process, changes can be made to the original proposal without the approval of the party that initiated the change.

What type of public input is conducted?

During the review the Planning Commission hosts study sessions, open houses, public hearings, and open meetings to solicit feedback on the proposed amendments.

When do I need to submit my application for amendments?

An amendment application may be submitted at any time. However, all applications must be submitted by January 7th of each year in order to be considered for that year's Docket List that is reviewed by Council. For example, to make a suggestion for the 2011 Docket List, you must submit your suggestion by January 7, 2011.

How do I submit an application for an amendment to the City of Woodinville?

City staff suggests that anyone interested in submitting an amendment application speak with the Planning staff before submitting an application. There are application packets for Comprehensive Plan and Land Use Regulations changes. Staff can help identify the information needed for your submittal. You may call staff directly at 425.489.2754, and ask for a Planner.

Is there a fee for submitting an amendment application?

Yes. Staff determines if your suggestion is a major change to the Comprehensive Plan or development regulations, or more of a housekeeping issue. These amendment types require a different fee amount.

How long will it take to process my proposed amendment?

Depending upon the type of amendment you make, it could take more than a year before final action is taken by City Council. For less complex issues, like a minor text amendment, it normally takes 6-12 months to process your application through staff, Planning Commission, and Council review. For more complex issues, like changes to the Future Land Use and Zoning Map, or extensive new development regulations, etc. it usually takes a year or more to complete the process.

For more detailed information about the amendment process or to ask questions about proposing amendments to current development regulations or the Comprehensive Plan, please contact the City at 425.489.2754 and ask for a Planner.



Page last modified: October 18, 2010

preload navigation image 1 but do not display preload navigation image 2 but do not display preload navigation image 3 but do not display preload navigation image 4 but do not display preload navigation image 5 but do not display preload navigation image 6 but do not display