Business License

The City of Woodinville requires businesses located or doing business within city limits to obtain a license. Licensing of business provides several benefits for the Woodinville community and its businesses.  For instance, licensing allows the Police Department to make quicker contact in the event of an emergency.  Also, it helps the City maintain a current, accurate list of business activities with which the City can improve resource allocation supporting economic development.

How to Get a License

Washington State Department of Revenue (DOR) administers the application process for the City. By obtaining a City Endorsement on your DOR license your business is licensed within the City. This endorsement must be renewed each year. Apply online at the Department of Revenue's "Apply for a Business License" page. It is recommended that you carefully read through all the information on this page.


The annual cost of the Business License in the City of Woodinville is $39. The fee is waived for government function, schools (education endeavors only), churches, political groups, and organization exempt from taxation under 26 USC 501(c)(3) and (4); however, they are still required to apply.

Do You Need a City License?

All businesses maintaining a place of business within City limits are required to get a license. This includes schools, churches, political groups, and organizations. All businesses that whose annual value of products, gross proceeds of sales, or gross income of the business in the City is more than $2,000 and who does not maintain a place of business within the City is required to get a license. There are a number of exemptions and it is highly recommended that you review the Woodinville Municipal Code (WMC) 5.02 sections 5.02.025, 5.02.030, 5.02.040, and 5.02.050 before applying for a license.

Home-Based Businesses

City code requires a permit in addition to a City license for home-based business. It is recommended that you review the Home Occupation/Industry Permit Application (PDF). On page two of the application is a summary of regulations. If your home-based business does not meet code requirement the City will not issue a business license. If you believe your home-based business qualifies complete the application and submit it by email to the Development Services Department. Make sure to provide your UBI number, or let us know that you have just applied for a business license.

More Information

Questions about the application process should be directed to the Washington State Department of Revenue at 800-451-7985. For other questions about City licensing requirements, reach out to City staff.