To help citizens dispose of unused or expired prescription drugs, the Woodinville Police Department maintains a prescription drug drop box available to the public. The drop box is located on the first floor of City Hall across the from the Police Services counter.
If you have unwanted medicine that you are looking to dispose of, follow these disposal options (in this order):
- Check the Package: If there are any specific instructions for disposal on the label, package or package insert, please follow those instructions. Do not flush prescription drugs down the toilet unless the information on the package specifically instructs you to do so.
- Use Convenient Kiosks: Community drug take-back locations at local law enforcement agencies, such as the Woodinville Police department, allow residents to bring expired or unwanted medicines to a convenient, centralized location for proper disposal. Our drop box is located on the first floor of City Hall, across from the Police Services counter.
- In-Home Disposal: If no disposal instructions are given on the prescription drug labeling and no take-back program is available in your area, throw the drugs in the household trash following these steps.
- Remove them from their original containers and mix them with an undesirable substance, such as used coffee grounds or kitty litter (this makes the drug less appealing to children and pets, and unrecognizable to people who may intentionally go through the trash seeking drugs).
- Place the mixture in a sealable bag, empty can, or other container to prevent the drug from leaking or breaking out of a garbage bag.