The requirements for tree removal on single-family residential properties differs depending on whether other construction activity is occurring at the time the tree removal is proposed. Below is a summary of the code requirements for each situation - please see the Woodinville Municipal Code for a full list of regulations.
Tree removal on single-family properties with construction
Any proposal requiring a tree permit, except as provided for lots without construction below, shall meet minimum tree density credits required for the zone the property is located in:
- For the R-1 zones, properties are required to have 70 tree density credits per acre.
- For the R-4 through R-8 zones, properties are required to have 50 tree density credits per acre.
Tree credits afforded to each tree is determined by measuring the diameter-at-breast-height (DBH) of each tree. Trees credits values are determined by the table below:
The density credit for a single-family property is the sum of all retained existing trees on site, plus any new or supplemental trees that are planted. If a site falls below the minimum tree density with existing trees, supplemental planting shall be required. See WMC 21.50.060 for more information.
Tree removal on single-family properties without construction
If no construction activity is proposed on a single-family residence at the time the tree removal permit is reviewed, then the following requirements apply:
- Up to four (4) trees are permitted to be removed with a single tree removal permit without meeting additional requirements. Up to two (2) permits of this kind are permitted per single-family property.
- If more than two tree removal permits have been requested on a single property, the property must demonstrate compliance with the minimum tree density credits required for the zone. If the property falls below the required minimum tree density with existing trees, supplemental planting shall be required. See WMC 21.50.060 for more information.
The removal of more than four trees with a single permit may be permitted for the purposes of tree thinning or the removal of dead, nuisance, or hazard trees, with the following requirements:
- An arborist report, prepared by a certified arborist, will be required to support the removal of these trees.
- Tree removal in this way shall require compliance with the minimum tree density required for the zone or provide replacement plantings at a rate of three trees per each removed tree.