When is a building permit required?

A permit is required from the City for the following activities.

Mechanical or Plumbing

  • Installation, relocation, and replacement of any mechanical appliance, such as water heaters, furnaces, heat pumps, fireplaces, stoves, hot tubs, etc.
  • Installation or modifying of gas lines for any mechanical appliance, such as barbecues and cook tops
  • Installation, relocation, and replacement of any gas or electric water heater
  • Installation, relocation, and replacement of any plumbing fixture where water lines, drains or vents are installed or modified
  • Installation of any pool in-ground, and installation of any above-ground pool that is over 24 inches deep or over 5,000 gallons
  • Installation of backflow prevention device on a lawn or garden irrigation system


  • Installation of or modification of a fire sprinkler or alarm system


  • Construction of a deck where any of the following apply:
    • Larger than 200 square feet
    • The deck surface exceeds 30 inches above the finished grade at any point
    • Attached to a dwelling
    • Serves the main side hinged exit door
    • A permit is also required for replacing or repairing existing decks that meet the previous criteria
  • Installation or moving an exterior door, skylight, or window, including making an existing window wider
  • Construction of or modification to a garage or carport
  • A remodel of a house, such as creating new walls, converting basements or garages in to living areas, or adding a bay window
  • A tenant improvement to a commercial building, including interior and exterior changes
  • Construction of retaining walls or rockeries over four feet high, or where a car or structure is on top of the wall; the height of the wall is measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall
  • For single-family residences, roofing projects that include modifying or replacing the sheathing
  • For multi-family residential or non-residential property, any roofing project
  • Construction of a storage shed or playhouse with a floor area greater than 200 square feet

Work Not Requiring a Permit

A building permit is not required for the following work:

  • Interior finish work, including painting, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, and counter top installation
  • Swings or other play equipment for single-family homes
  • Interior walls or other partitions less than 5 feet 9 inches in height
  • Fences that are not over 6 feet in height
  • Portable heating equipment

Show All Answers

1. Is my property within the City of Woodinville?
2. Why should I get a permit?
3. When is a building permit required?
4. How do I obtain a permit?
5. How long does it take to get a permit?
6. How much does a permit cost?
7. What should be included in the plan sets, and how should they be prepared?
8. Do I need an architect or engineer to prepare my plans?
9. Do I need to hire a contractor if I can do the work myself?
10. Does the City inspect the work?
11. What happens if I start work without a building permit?
12. Do I need a permit to remove a tree?
13. How do I obtain electrical permits?
14. How do I obtain water, sewer, and/or septic removal?
15. What should be done with construction and demolition waste?