Do I need an architect or engineer to prepare my plans?

Washington State has requirements for when an architect is required to complete a set of plans. Generally, any building over 4,000 square feet, where the life safety or structural systems are modified, must be designed by a licensed architect.

A structural engineer is required to prepare building plans when the design does not use the prescriptive building code requirements, or for walls or rockeries that require a building permit. A civil engineer is required to design drainage and roadway improvements.

Show All Answers

1. Is my property within the City of Woodinville?
2. Why should I get a permit?
3. When is a building permit required?
4. How do I obtain a permit?
5. How long does it take to get a permit?
6. How much does a permit cost?
7. What should be included in the plan sets, and how should they be prepared?
8. Do I need an architect or engineer to prepare my plans?
9. Do I need to hire a contractor if I can do the work myself?
10. Does the City inspect the work?
11. What happens if I start work without a building permit?
12. Do I need a permit to remove a tree?
13. How do I obtain electrical permits?
14. How do I obtain water, sewer, and/or septic removal?
15. What should be done with construction and demolition waste?